Regs Fairy Garden

Welcome to Reg's Fairy Garden

on the beautiful Island of Jersey

A little history about my Fairy Garden

The site where the fairy garden is now, was at one time covered with broken rock mixed with sandy soil, and
 when my father bought the farm and land back in 1947 he had to clear areas so that he could grow produce. 
The area of land that I am using for the fairy garden was left until last as it was going to be the most difficult one
 to clear of stone. I left school in 1951 at the age of fifteen and immediately started working for my father and
 guess what my first job was, you are right it was picking up the rocks so that the land could be cultivated. I will 
never forget that work, it took months to do. Every year, before planting a fresh crop, I would have to go over the 
land picking up rock that had worked its self up out of the ground.

Building the Fairy Garden This area of my garden will be transformed into a fairy garden over 
the next couple of years. Hopefully I will be having help from you to complete it. I started building
 it with help in late January 2005. in part of my main garden. The archways were erected over
 the pathways are seven feet six inches high and five feet wide using 2,000 feet of ten centimetre 
thick steel rod . The archways are covered with two inch mesh chicken wire, and the lot were painted 
dark green (with a paint roller to make the work a little easier).

The Large Mushroom of ten feet high was 
obtained originally from a children's play park
 that whose operators changed all their equipment over to plastic materials


The pathways total 120 feet long and the area of the garden is 50 x 50 square feet. 

I have installed an artificial stone waterfall, stepping down into four mini ponds.


The archways are five feet wide and seven feet six inch

es high

How did he get in?

Please click on the thumbnails below to view the Fairy Garden


wpe130.jpg (171571 bytes)   wpe126.jpg (47496 bytes)   wpe120.jpg (45426 bytes)   wpe124.jpg (41355 bytes)   wpe128.jpg (31260 bytes)   

wpe12A.jpg (27651 bytes)   wpe12C.jpg (37172 bytes)   wpe12E.jpg (34664 bytes)  

wpe14A.jpg (42862 bytes)    wpe13E.jpg (42266 bytes)   wpe13B.jpg (99124 bytes)   wpe135.jpg (34048 bytes)   wpe139.jpg (37924 bytes)

  wpe140.jpg (16561 bytes)   wpe142.jpg (44037 bytes)   wpe146.jpg (36627 bytes)   wpe151.jpg (37332 bytes)   wpe14E.jpg (42838 bytes)

wpe14C.jpg (35768 bytes)   wpe154.jpg (29420 bytes)   wpe15C.jpg (80085 bytes) 

wpe15E.jpg (59582 bytes)   wpe160.jpg (97194 bytes)   wpe162.jpg (83061 bytes)   wpe164.jpg (70132 bytes)  wpe166.jpg (47462 bytes) 

wpe168.jpg (72231 bytes)   wpe16A.jpg (54353 bytes)   wpe16C.jpg (85497 bytes)   wpeB.jpg (85876 bytes)   wpe11E.jpg (76562 bytes)

      wpe120.jpg (64319 bytes)   wpe122.jpg (73570 bytes)   wpe124.jpg (70283 bytes)   wpe128.jpg (81402 bytes)   wpe12C.jpg (79126 bytes) 

wpe12E.jpg (96492 bytes)   wpe130.jpg (59081 bytes)


My Fairy Story
By Grandpa Reg Langlois

        Once upon a time  (a good way to start a story).....

… I had been asked to baby-sit for my son and daughter-in-law’s children, my grandchildren. The moment 
that I arrived at their home I was greeted by the three young children with their arms full of fairy tale books. 
Their mother had told them earlier that I was going to tell them stories when I arrived. I was soon to be made 
comfortable on the settee with the children either side of me, when I had to make a major decision as to whose 
story book I would read first as they could not agree to having the same one. I knew I would be upsetting one of 
them so I asked if they minded if I told them my own story and, with great enthusiasm, they agreed to listen. 

It went something like this …. 

…. Once upon a time an elderly man and his three grandchildren were walking through the woods. It was a fine 
warm day in the summer, with the sunbeams dancing though the trees above and birds singing to each other and 
flying onto the pathway ahead of the children, picking up insects to feed their young. Because of the heavy rainfall 
the night before, the potholes on the pathway were filled with water and the birds were enjoying an early morning 
bath. The children were delighted to see their antics. Even the tiniest of them were behaving like ducks. The potholes 
were very shallow so the birds could not come to any harm, although they were ducking their heads under the water. 

Not only had there been heavy rain the night before, but there was a strong wind that blew a lot of leaves off the 
trees to build up in heaps on the side of the pathway. The children ran and jumped into the heaps of leaves, rolling 
over and over on them. They were having a wonderful time. Grandpa called out to them to be careful what they did 
not disturb any wildlife that might be hiding in them. Grandpa did not want to spoil their fun but he knew that there would be some wildlife in the leaves. Just then a small mouse emerged cautiously from a heap of leaves nearby, took
 a look at the children, stood on his back legs and proceeded to wash his face. The children were amazed and stood transfixed until he had finished his ablutions. It was not until one of the them moved that the mouse ran away back 
into the undergrowth. This was a new adventure for the children; they had never seen creatures like that so close before. 

They continued along the path tiptoeing very quietly in case they saw more wildlife amongst the leaves. Suddenly 
they stopped. A heap of leaves was moving. The youngest of the children hung onto his grandfather’s hand very 
tightly while the other children, moved closer to their him. He was smiling for, as he had guessed, a large blackbird 
with a bright yellow beak appeared, startling the children. They wanted to know what a bird was doing under the 
leaves. Birds fly, they do not go under leaves. He explained that birds are always looking for food for themselves and
 their young and the heap of leaves would provide them with a variety of insects. He told them that, although that 
they had passed that way before, they had never noticed the wildlife and other things moving about in the woods
 because they, like all children, would have been running and shouting to each other and, without realizing it, 
would frighten all but the insects away before they had even noticed them.

Although the children were very excited as they walked along the tree covered pathway, they asked Grandpa in 
a whisper whether, if they were very quiet, they would see more animals like the little mouse? Grandpa said they 
would and they did see many more as they continued their walk. They all agreed to be as quite as mice and walk 
along very slowly. As they turned the next bend, they stopped and sat on a small bank amazed at the spectacle 
before them. There were at least fifteen or even twenty rabbits, large and small, running up and down a high, 
grass covered bank. The children remained absolutely still noticing that some were going in and out of holes 
in the ground. Grandpa, seeing that the children looked puzzled, bent down and explained in a whisper that the 
holes in the bank were where the rabbits lived. They looked at him in disbelief and he understood why when the 
youngest told him that he thought rabbits lived in rabbit hutches. At that, the eldest of the grandchildren, who 
thought she knew everything, began to giggle and told her younger brother that rabbits normally live in holes. 
She made so much noise that they soon noticed that she had frightened all the rabbits away.  

Grandpa reminded them that, if they wanted to see anything in the woods, they would have to stay perfectly quiet. 
It was not long before they saw something else much larger than them and, had it not looked so beautiful, they 
might have been frightened. It was a deer and one of the children whispered that she wanted to call it Bambi. 
It had been looking at them for some time through a clearing in the woods and only moved away when it heard 
what sounded like gunfire. Grandpa told them not to worry as it was not a gun making the noise but a tree being 
felled by woodmen in the distance. 

They continued their walk, passing a beautiful little cottage with smoke curling out of the chimney. The children 
thought that it must be lovely to live in the woods surrounded by animals. In all the excitement they had not 
noticed how tired they had become after all that running around. 

What an adventure! Grandpa suggested that they might like to sit down to rest for a while on a grassy bank 
in the warm sun. First walking and now climbing - what fun, but very tiring. When they got to the top of the bank 
Grandpa sat down first, followed by the children. All at once they wanted to use him as a pillow. They must have 
been tired because one by one they went off to sleep. Grandpa softly whispered to them, sweet dreams. The 
youngest of the children went to sleep first followed soon after by the other two. Grandpa stayed awake to look 
after them. He was enjoying this day as this was the first time he had them all together to walk with him in the 
woods, for now they were old enough to be able to walk any distance and appreciate what the woods had to 
offer them.

In their dreams they carried on walking, passing a little girl dressed in a bright red shawl and carrying a basket 
over her arm. She smiled at them and told them she was going to see her Grandmother who was ill and in bed, 
adding that she had just seen a wolf and told him about her poor grandma's illness, He appeared to be very 
concerned about her health and had asked the young girl where did her grandmother live. She said that she 
told him and he then suggested, to get to her grandma's quicker, she might like to take a short cut to the 
cottage by going by a different route. Giving the children a wave she continued on her way. 

A little further on they came to a little red brick- built cottage with a pig looking out through a window, as 
they passed, the pig called out something about a wolf huffing and puffing, but the children could not hear 
exactly what he said as the windows were closed. Grandpa thought that, had it been important, the pig would 
have come outside to tell them so. The next house they passed was occupied by three bears - a very large one, 
a medium sized one and a baby one. They looked as if they had just returned home and were going indoors as 
Grandpa and the children went by. 

As they continued on their way, they saw in the distance a very large, beautiful building with many towers. 
They asked Grandpa what it was but he had never seen one like it before, though he said he thought it was a castle. 

The children had heard about castles and wanted to see this one much closer so Grandpa agreed to take them. 
They soon arrived and, not seeing anyone around to ask if they could go in, they decided to have a quick look 
around by themselves. They went from room to room on the ground floor, each one seeming larger and more 
decorative than the last, but, when they climbed the long, wide staircase and entered the first bedroom they 
had the surprise of their lives for, lying on the bed, was a beautiful girl fully dressed and asleep. As they did not 
want to disturb her, they tiptoed back down the stairs and out of the castle into the woods. 

They carried on their way until, outside a large house, they saw a pretty girl with her face and arms covered in 
what looked like black soot from a stove. She was crying and told them that she wanted to go to the Ball but had 
nothing to wear. The children told her not to worry for they were sure that something would turn up so that she 
could go. She thanked them for stopping to hear her sad tale and bid them “good day”. 

They soon came to a clearing in the woods, where a most unusual sight met their eyes. Outside of a little 
cottage a young man was climbing up a large beanstalk that reached right up to the sky. They had not gone 
much farther when they heard singing, “Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work we go” and saw seven Little folk walking 
and dancing down the path through the woods seeming unaware that they, the children, were there. The 
children then noticed a young woman with black hair standing in the doorway of the little house from which 
the Little folk had come and waving them goodbye. 

As they walked away from that happy scene, they saw another castle, but this had only one big, tall tower 
with a small window at the top through which a young lady was uncurling her very long hair down to the 
ground. Nearby a handsome young man stood near some bushes looking up towards the castle and calling 
out to the lady asking her to let her hair down. As neither Grandpa nor the children understood what was 
going on, they moved away and continued their walk. 

The pathway seemed to wind on forever with so many interesting things to see, but they were a little puzzled 
to see stones placed at intervals along the path leading to a large heap of fallen leaves that moved as they 
approached and two children emerged saying that they had slept under them to keep warn during the night. 
Grandpa and the children thought that the two children looked well enough and carried on walking. 

They began to realise that they had been dreaming when the next thing they saw was a cat wearing long boots 
standing on the side of the road as if waiting for something. One of the children went over to the cat and asked 
him what he was doing there. He replied that he was going to London to see the Queen. They bid him a safe 
journey and went on their way. 

Just when they were thinking about returning home, they were nearly knocked over by a girl on horseback 
racing towards another castle. She looked very upset as she sped past and they overheard her saying that 
she wanted to marry her friend, although he was large and beastly. 

The children had gone far enough that day and turned back along the same pathway. They had had the time 
of their lives and could not wait to get home to tell their friends and relations of their adventures. They had 
seen castles, rabbits running in and out of holes and a cat wearing boots. Such excitement! 

On their way back, they passed by the two children who had been sleeping under the heap of leaves. They 
were seen tucking into a hearty meal in a cottage with friends. 

And, as the children passed the castle, the one with the young lady with the long hair, they saw the 
handsome young man, who had been calling out to the young lady earlier, climbing up her hair 
into the castle. Grandpa and the children still did not know what was going on, so they carried on walking 
until they came to the clearing where they saw the young woman with black hair washing heaps of 
clothes. She was singing quietly to herself “Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to work they go” The children waved to her 
as they went past and she returned their wave giving them a beautiful smile. 

They soon reached another clearing in the woods where they had seen the young boy climbing a beanstalk, 
but now it had been cut down and was lying on the ground. Grandpa thought that very strange as it had 
appeared to be very healthy when they went past earlier. 

The children asked if they might see the castle again, where the beautiful lady lay asleep, but, as they 
approached, they saw a handsome couple walking arm in arm in the garden. With great relief they 
recognised her as the same lady whom they had seen asleep in the bedroom of the castle. 

As it was growing late, they returned to the pathway and walked on until they came to the house where 
the girl with the blackened face lived. As they passed they looked in through the doorway and saw two 
people talking. They recognised one as the girl who had poured out her problems to Grandpa and the 
children earlier but the other person facing them was dressed like no-one they had ever seen before. She 
was all in white and carried a silver stick with a silver star on the end of it but, what was even more strange, 
she had silver wings just like a butterfly. Sensing their presence, the girl they had meet earlier turned 
towards them and gave them a radiant smile as if to say thank you.

When they reached the bear’s house, all they could hear was a high-pitched voice from indoors, 
possibly baby bear, complaining that someone had eaten his porridge and further along the path outside 
the pigs’ brick-built house they saw a wolf on his knees huffing and puffing at it, but he soon ran away 
when he saw the children chasing after him. Further still along the path they again saw the girl with the red 
cloak. She was standing outside her Grandmother’s cottage talking to a woodman who was warning her 
about talking to wolves. Grandpa overheard their conversation and fully agreed with him. When eventually 
they reached the raised bank where they had rested earlier, they sat there for some time using Grandpa as 
a pillow until he told them that they had had a good sleep and it was time for them all to go home. 

On the way Grandpa told the children all about wildlife that they could expect to see as they walk around, 
not just in forests and woodlands , but in town gardens and, in fact, anywhere that wildlife might expect 
to find food. Not only birds, but foxes and badgers are coming into town gardens as hedgehogs have 
done for years. 

Grandpa thought that what the children had most enjoyed that day was seeing the little mouse washing himself. 

Reg Langlois